This is the most important post I’ve ever written. Ooh, er. It contains more self-involvement than ever. Enjoy!
This is the most significant thing in my life at the moment, and what I’m most stressed about.
I’m in third year of an Arts (Professional Writing) degree (don’t then feel cheated that this blog isn’t better). I’m getting High Distinction averages (as you can see, from the sheer quality and depth of the prose here. Snort). Next year…
So. What am I doing with my life? I turn 24 in December, I want to hurry up and get a fulltime wage. So I’m thinking of doing honours in editing. I love the course (especially the proofreading) so I’m thinking I’d like a future there. But then, what am I gonna do for honours? The guy who usually runs it is away, and no one’s giving me answers (though I WILL have some by the end of this week).
My three dream jobs are:
1. Writing and directing video clips for bands and artists
= 1. Writing (and doing voices) for my own cartoon. (How good would my cartoon be? Think Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad, South Park and the Muppets. SO good). Or, an oft-surreal sitcom. (In the vein of Arrested Development, Scrubs, etc)
2. Weekly columnist (or similar) for major publication (how cushy and self indulgent. Sigh).
3. Editing a magazine for hedonists who like sex, music, food, debauchery, and other fun things.
4. a tiny bit later in life: Being a housewife 2k: freelance writing while running a house (with puppies, not children) and basically be where I am now just with hubby (or wifey, but I do tend to prefer relationships with men) and a fuckload more money.
5. Being a tutor in a writing course. Helping people hone their skills and develop their pieces. I have a great strength in developing ideas, which has come through in Script Writing, Non-Fiction and Fiction workshops throughout my course. (But: I really don’t want to do my masters right now I’m sick of studying and being a poor student. I want to be an adult, dammit).
So while a couple of those dreams are nigh-on impossible, and some achievable, I think next year I’ll do honours in editing and in 2007 try and get a job… somewhere… there, and get some funds up while I pursue the rest. I’m so confused at the moment. I’m seeing my editing tutor tomorrow, we’re gonna discuss what KIND of thing I’ll do.
Take it for granted that I’m a good writer. All self-confidence and arrogance aside, I do churn out gold, as seen by marks, anonymous feedback, etc.
So now, I really need advice. On… everything in this post. Or just, you know, offers for internships next year. Help this wee lost lamb, please.
Thanks for indulging me. More sex tomorrow (Freakline!) and Wednesday, I promise.
1 hour ago