Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Month Into My New Job

Roll call of sorts.

Dress Code:
Wear whatever (within reason: no trackie dacks, jeans ok. Not like I own either of them)

How it could be better: Um, it couldn’t really. Oooh! Hang on, if they had a corporate account at Target, Myer and selected goth shops throughout Melbourne. For some reason. Yeah, that’d be sweet.

How it could be worse: it could be so much worse in so many ways. Corporate wear, must wear heels, must wear a uniform…

Pay:
Urg. Seriously, assistant rates blow. I’d be making more at the callcentre.

Better: well, anything more than ‘poverty-line chic’. I’m not even paying HECS yet.

Worse: I COULD be made to do heaps of unpaid overtime.

Commute:
Yeah, it’s gonna suck with any job, really.

Better: working from home would make me mighty unhealthy at the current time. I think the problem’s more with me not living next to a train. O, to live on the Hurstbridge line.

Worse: It could be somewhere further out; at least it’s central, near the CBD.


Work:
Booooring, but the novelty is still there, which is nice. Very monotonous, very dull-yet-exact specific editing to a rigid, nonsensical style.

Better: Any other editing work, really. Also, being able to use the interwebs for evil, not good, would be sweet.

Worse: Oh, I’m sure it’s out there. Well, worse would be working in a team; the good thing is I can work on my shitkicking tasks fairly autonomously throughout the day, at my own pace. So that’s nice.


Co Workers:
Are great, really. Nice people and I don’t hate any of them yet, which is a new personal best. There’s one who’s pretty annoying, but that’s a post for another time.

Better: They’re all quite young, and I really enjoy a few of them, so I think I’ve hit the jackpot here.

Worse: Oh, man, don’t even get me started.


Environment:
No milk in our dodgy little office (so I eat my post-gym cereal dry), and a tiny stinky bar fridge. Quite pants, really. I have my own desk though, AND drawers, and my own phone line! That’s fucking fantastic.

Better: I could have my own office. Or cubical. That’d be fucking sweet.

Worse: I could have to share a desk, or… I don’t know, not have a dedicated desk.


Future:
Basically, I’m gonna try to stick it out for a year before going on to bigger and better things. I’ll start looking for new work at the 11-month mark.

Better: I get headhunted in three months. Snort.

Worse: I can’t stick it out for six months, like the weak little fuck I always am.

So, that’s that, then.

2 comments:

Lumpen said...

Wait… How can they make you do unpaid work? Is that an AWA thing?

Desci said...

Some of them do it, inexplicably enough. Grey area.