Friday, February 01, 2008

Bad Blogger

About 7 years ago, Enny gave me some awesome questions to answer in a rare sighting of Desci Meme Action. Here they are:

1. Why goth? What does it mean to you? When did you start goth and do you think it will end at some stage?

I’ve never really talked about this, have I?

I’ll go backwards: It may tone down, but never end. You always have the stink about you when you settle down a bit. One can always tell an authentic ex-goth (hi, RG! :P) When I’m 64, I’ll be a haggard old goth, but elegant as fuck.

I started very gradually. When I began this blog I was hesitant to even call myself goth. I’m ok with it now, I guess because it’s been going on so long and I know enough about the subculture not to be labelled a poser. (You can’t just wake up one day and say, ‘I’m a goth/punk/hippie/jock/whatever!’ and be taken seriously). So more and more I liked the clothing, I already liked a lot of the music, and it just stemmed from there.

To me, it mostly means a very appealing aesthetic. A separation from the many fuckwits and cunts who blindly follow current fashions in clothing (and music), as ugly as it may be. It also represents striving to a more individual persona, if that makes sense? Basically I just think it’s cool and like to be a part of it. I like sticking out, I like when fuckwits think I look silly. I suppose at a deeper level, it’s me saying, ‘I do not subscribe to your ideologies on appearance or how to conduct oneself, I am different from you’, as wanky as that sounds.

Don’t get me wrong, there are bogans, fuckwits, posers and cunts in the goth scene, too. I’m looking at my version of the idealised goth as I see it, and trying to align myself with that.

I like the music, the look and the ideology, so why not, basically.

2. I would love a brief rundown of your past partners :o)

Not counting dodgy one night stands when I was 17-19 years old (which were really one night stumblings, since I only ever let guys get to third base, since I was still a virgin):

My first kiss, and seeing my first erect penis (not in that order, hilariously enough) was with a guy I’d been very close friends with for a few years. I had a crush on him on and off, he didn’t know. A group of us got drunk in a park one day before school started back up (it was about a month after I turned 15, I think) and we messed about.

Ex 1 was when we were in year 12. He was an absolute sweetie, but we were both shy and not used to communicating. It only lasted a month. To the hour.

Ex 2, urg. He was much older than me (well, 27 to my just turned 20), and I had sex for the first time with him. He was incredibly bad at everything, but I didn’t know the difference. He was generally a toxic, horrid person, and I’m lucky it didn’t get more serious.

Ex 3, Funzo. You guys have heard about that one already.

Then there was the guy with the pyramid-shaped penis, the one who liked teeth scraping against his cock, the girl who kissed like pacman but had amazingly perfect boobs and gorgeous nipples… but that’s all a bagatelle.

3. You have an entertaining podcast with a number of listeners – what do you like best and what do you like the least about it?

Best: I love having listeners and getting feedback; it’s so gratifying to know that people listen to our ramblings. Also, I love having a fun secret-ish activity to do with Boyfriend.

Least: the quality. I know if we had more time to devote to it, it could be a million times better. Also, that we never really have time to set aside for it. If we had 15 minutes a day, then it would really be cool. But hopefully that will happen by around Easter, so stay tuned?

4. If you could holiday anywhere, where would it be to and why (try to resist answering "Canberra to visit my adorable fan base")?

Canberra, for fan base AND Rubee’s amazing ice cream. Oh god, Rubee’s.

Seriously, I’d love to go all around Europe for 6 weeks, America for a month, or Japan/China or 10 days. All because I’ve never been overseas and those places interest me.

Or, if I only had 5 days, Tasmania. Since it was absolutely gorgeous and wonderful that time we went. Plus we didn’t get to see the rage-filled tassie devils last time. So adorable. So enraged.

5. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Married to Boyfriend, and in about 10 years it’d be perfect time for one of us (or both) to get spayed, so we can keep our childless state.

He’d be doing the job he’s doing now, I’d love to be either writing full time or editing a magazine (not a beauty or gossip one).

Perhaps if not Melbourne, we’d be living in San Francisco or London, most likely the former. I’d love it if we could have two dogs, whichever ones we’re up to on the list.



The rules (please include this in your answer post):

Now it's your turn. If you want to be interviewed, leave me a comment including the words "Interview me." I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions. If you don't have a valid email address on your blog, please provide one. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

19 comments:

RandomGit said...

It's all a little conceited, but interview me.

Anonymous said...

'childless state'....oh i'm intrigued? no Desci babies? but your genius must be passed on to future generations...surely!!?

emsy x

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

I'd like to be interviewed but I'm not going to play by the rules and I may (or may not) lie through my teeth.

Can I still play?

jane doe said...

Recommend you beg, borrow or steal a copy of Goth, one of the last releases of the late, great Baterz.

Martie said...

Ok I'll play for blog fodder - please interview me Ms Desci

Desci said...

RG, INH, Martie: Will do!

Emsy: Naaw, bless. But yes, there will be no babies ever. No babies ever.

Jane: Hm, will keep an eye out for it. Cheers!

Enny said...

I was just thinking the other day about this - thanks for doing it!

The answers are good - I like/understand the goth thing a little more now too :o)

Kerces said...

Hiya Desci
Just thinking about magazines and it occurred to me to ask if you've come across Frankie?
It's a bimonthly (next issue Feb 22) that's music, fashion, advice but alternative plus just good things to read. Published by Morrison Media, about whom I know nothing except they seem to be based out of Brisbane.
They've contact details for people interested submitting works in the font of the mag; let me know if you want them.

hasarder said...

My ex said of me, 'You can take the girl out of the goth but you can't take the goth out of the girl'.

I second Jane Doe - it would be hard for you to find nowadays, but I'd very happily send you a copy. Always willing to spread the Baterz lurve. I have a live version from the gig the single was released at too.

jane doe said...

I'm pretty sure army of nerds are still distributing Baterz CDs. I'm not so sure that the early Bedridden albums are as easy to get these days, though.

hasarder said...

You still find them around Adelaide, just wasn't sure if you would in Melbourne.
I managed to get my hands on a copy of 'it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye' on vinyl a few years ago at the CD launch of 'the anthem of the crown and anchor'. Other than that, I haven't seen much Bedridden stuff around.

jane doe said...

Baterz himself used to sell Bedridden albums (that's how I got my CD copies) - I think directly going through army of nerds would be the only option these days (for those outside of Adelaide, that is).

Martie said...

Oh god, call me a n00b, but I don't think my email to you worked - my address is carly selena at g mail dot com (no spaces obvs)

Anonymous said...

is it something you feel comfy posting about cos i'm intrigued! no one ever admits they don't want kids for fear of disapproval. people get it in their crazy heads that everyone 'should'. bah!

emsy x

Wadsworth J. Kinkemellow III said...

I will only answer questions in the guise of my alter-ego Wadsworth J Kinkemellow III

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Done.

Here.

The Hack said...

Do me, Desci. Do me!

DJ said...

go for it, interview me...

Bruce said...

Is it too late to get on the bandwagon?