- They have the cutest fucking dogs here. They have these wide, squashy faces, like Chinese dragons, they're tiny (Maltese sized) and they come in all the colours, longhaired or short. The longhaired white ones look like the Luck Dragon from Neverending Story. They are SO. Fucking. Cute. I want one. One of Boyfriend's friends told me the breed was 'Beijing Dog', but they're not on wikipedia (though there are some on google images! Here are three SFW pics I found, awww! Want!)
- Driving on the left is odd. I like being in the front passenger seat; it's like a dream in which the car drives for you.
- Being a passenger, or a pedestrian (or a cyclist, I'm guessing) is SCARY. No seatbelts. No helmets. Insane shenanigans. Constant horns, not in an aggressive way, more an 'ok, I'm about to switch from lane one to lane four, and not indicate, so heed me!' way. Effing scary. Apparently there are a LOT of road deaths, and I'm not surprised.
- Also, when one road was clogged, everyone just thought, 'fuck it' and decided to use the other lane, thereby driving down the wrong side of the road, and jamming that, too.
- No cyclists wear helmets, either.
- Quite a few English speakers have American accents. Not unusual. What WAS weird, though, was one girl at the markets who, through broken English and a heavy Chinese accent, spoke in bafflingly perfect Brooklynese: 'Wanna trai a scawrf? Laydee, Wanna trai a cashmeeere scaaawf?'
1 hour ago