Monday, January 12, 2009

Chips

Remember how every year I give something up? It's gone like this:

2006: Smoking forever
2007: Chocolate for one year
2008: Chips/ savoury biscuits for one year.

I do this because I learn so much from it. Chocolate was hard at first. But after a few months, the cravings were gone and it did get much easier. Smoking? After not having even a drag since 25 January 2006, I STILL crave it heaps. Ridiculous.

Chips were easy. One time, I was stoned at a bonfire, inside the house by myself, in that munchy, slack, tired stage. And there was a lovely big bowl of chips right next to me and I didn't have any. That's the main achievement to come out of this exercise.

I realised chips are more of a social snack than chocolate. Like smoking, I wanted them when I was around other people who were having them. And I did get the, 'oooh, I'd LOVE some twisties right now' thing, but only every so often, and not overwhelmingly.

So I had a few different types (and was SO sick afterward) and what shocked me was that I remembered the flavours, but not the textures. I kept having Boyfriend eat some to determine that yes, this is how they are.

I went to the supermarket, selected my favourite kinds and sampled them. It went like this:

First, cheese Twisties: crunchy! So... crunchy!
Sour Cream and Chives Pringles: surprisingly thin and brittle
Burger Rings: light! Very light!
Kettle Salt and Vinegar Crinkle Cut: Sharp; painfully so. Why do people eat something so sharp?
Cheezels: Just 'so good and cheesy'
Oh, and I wasn't allowed Pizza Shapes, etc. So I had some Dixie Drumstick in a Biscuits, and they were underwhelming.

Within a small amount of time, my tongue felt really weird. Like I had pimples and cuts on it. It was kind of painful for a good two days.

So, like Maccas, chips are delicious but unnecessary. I'm not going to be having them much while trying to keep healthy (so, ever again), but they're there if I want them.

2009: My grandmother's junk food's on the chopping block. This is going to be a hard one. Not because she has such delicious stuff, but because it's so convenient. She always has several types of chocolate, tim tams, cheese and bacon ball cheetos and plain chips around. It's so easy to grab a tim tam, or a handful of chips, when I'm starving and waiting for dinner, or just bored. And like I said, the food itself is fairly 'meh' in terms of junk food. It's not like she has really good chocolate or any of the above chips. So that's another 'forever' one.

Oh, also I'm gonna try and go to a Mexican Restaurant soon. I don't love it, but I've not had corn chips for a year, and Mexican here is basically corn chips, beans, ground beef, sour cream and avocado, in different configurations. Ole, etc.

6 comments:

RandomGit said...

I crave the taste of plain chips. The salt and the particular effect potato has on it is so unique.

I also stopped having any sugar in my tea recently. Now, everything tastes sweet, even tap water. Steamed carrots are like candy now. I'm not overloading on sweetness anymore so my body has re-sensetised. That'ss my pseudo science for it.

Word Verification: Sheasem, What Captain Marvel says when he comes.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the smoking one. I quit that bitch YEARS ago, and somehow the attraction never quite dies. Bizarre.

I'm living a very "raw food" life, so things like chips, chocolates, biscuits, meat etc just don't enter my house these days. I'm also cutting out the use of sugars in cakes for my family and drinking soft drinks and stuff. I'm sure I must look like Nancy No Fun to my mates, but fuck it. My body, my choice, etc.

Anonymous said...

Oh crap, that was me. Sorry.

~Nooneimportant

Melba said...

If you're interested in all things health, may I suggest a book called "Good Health in the 21st Century" by Dr Carole Hungerford. She's an Australian MD and I heard her interviewed on the radio a couple of years ago when the book was published. She was asked why she wrote the book and she said something like "if I had another woman in her early thirties walk through my clinic door with breast cancer I was going to scream."

So she set about researching why the cancer "epidemic" (and diabetes, asthma, food intolerences and allergies etc).

It's a fantastic book and goes right into food, vitamin and mineral soil depletion, organic food, diseases and how to manage/prevent them with healthy eating/living and the impact of sugar, dairy, wheat on our systems. She covers biochemistry and is so knowledgable it's scary. It's really readable for the most part and local, it's not evangelical (though I'm sounding like a nut), it's footnoted, referencing clinical trials and research (so it's not just some quack blathering on without substance), and I can't recommend it highly enough. I've just re-read it again and gotten back on the supplements path.

Sorry about the long comment, but I can't recommend this book strongly enough.

Anonymous said...

There's no point going to Mexican in Melbourne... it's probably the one cuisine you just can't get a worthwhile example of. Wait til you're on holiday in central or north America.

Desci said...

RG: Mmm, carrots are meant to have quite a bit of sugar in 'em. Congrats on the sugar cutting! (But what effect will it have on your amazing lemon butter?!)

NOI: Go you! Raw food is so hard to keep up, but SO GOOD for you!

Melba: Cheers! I'll definitely check it out.

Anon: I know, but I just wanted the corn chips.