Saturday, April 03, 2010

MICF!

Gay lovers, I’m sorry for the extended break. Things are ridiculous. Onward!

I get to see an obscene amount of free comedy. Below are my usual incredibly lazy 1-line reviews.

Tim Key: The Slutcracker
Silly, charming, engaging. Genius poetry. If you liked him in Charlie Brooker’s Newswipe, you’ll love this. Very British. Highly recommended.
8.5/10

Axis of Awesome: Infinity Rock Explosion
I just love these guys. This show features quite a bit from their last show, Axis of Awesome Versus Bee. After an initial flicker of disappointment I didn’t care. Is it wrong that I want to see them again?
9.5/10

Claudia O’Doherty: Monster of the Deep 3D
I was sitting with a comedian who, at one point, leaned over and whispered to me, ‘She’s absolutely mental, and a genius!’ That about sums it up. It took me a while to get into the rhythm of her character, but once I did I just loved it. Go if you like stories, a little bit of the absurd, and a big helping of alienation wrapped in childlike wonder.
8/10

Andrew McClelland’s Somewhat Accurate History of the Fall of the Roman Empire
If you’ve seen Andy’s shows before, this is more of the same. And I couldn’t be more thrilled about it. Likable and engaging, see it if you want to know more about the Roman Empire, or if you’re taking a mixed group to a show. His broad-based appeal and affable delivery make for a brilliant show.
8.5/10

Talking Dirty in the Dark
Four comedians on stage. It’s dark, they all have balaclavas on. The mics have voice distortion. With total anonymity, what will they say?
It turns out all four of them just long to be Rodney Rude, but their TV/Radio careers forbid it.
My guesses were Peter Helliar or Tom Gleeson, Dave Hughes, Wil Anderson and… some Irish guy. Whoever they were, they were of the very mainstream, Triple M school of comedy. ‘Oh, I hate my wife and kids, fnar fanr fnar’ stuff. But jokes about going down on elderly women aren’t edgy or funny. And there's nothing sadder than someone who thinks they're being edgy or daring, when you're thinking that you and your fucking coworkers are cruder.
It could have been a hilarious night, they could have used the opportunity to test out their more daring or alienating stuff. Instead they just made dumb jokes trying to offend in the blandest possibly way. Adam Richard says more risqué and bitchy stuff in his scripted shows, FFS.
Yawn.
1/10

2 comments:

Dr. Cam said...

I'm almost tempted to go to Dirty In The Dark just to heckle them.

Desci said...

PLEASE TELL ME YOU DID.